Labels

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pump it up, Peabody MA

I am really looking forward to going out to explore all the playgrounds! Unfortunately, this week is going to be quite a rainy week, and we'll have to do our best to avoid 'cabin fever'. When I moved to the Northshore area, I did 'join' a few Mom's Groups. (I think they are a GREAT way to learn the hot playspots, make new friends for both you and your kids, and just to get out and about). By joining, I'm on the email lists, and unfortunately have yet to make a scheduled playdate!

A mom's group had a play date at Pump It Up, 5 Webster St. Peabody, so I decided it would be worth checking out. I heard about them about a year or so ago. When I called, they had very limited playtimes, and we'd never been able to coordinate. Today would be a great day with the rain and as a bonus I would get to meet some local moms!

Pump It Up is located in a fairly industrial area, and was a little hard to find. Fortunately, GPS knew where to go, otherwise, I don't think I would have found it! If you are going here and use a stroller, there's definitely a right and wrong side to park on! We were on the wrong side. (Read: stairs, no ramp!) The side we parked on had a sign for a place called Fastner, and only a few "temporary" parking spots for Pump It Up. I was able to hike the stroller up the drainage ditch, and a staff member gave me a hand when we got to the top. It was $16 for the four of us to enter. $8.00 for each walking child, and free for me and the baby.

The website doesn't have much for pictures, so I'll do my best to describe it. After checking in and going down a hallway, there are two 'arenas' which is where the inflatables are. I was so happy when I learned at check in that parents CAN play on the equipment with the kids. So many times I've had to either chase or rescue a child off a bouncy house that clearly states I shouldn't be on it! When we got into Arena B, I realized why I could join them - the play structures are huge! I quickly realized this might not be a great fit for the situation I'm currently in. A fearless 3 year old, almost two year old determined diva, and a 9 month old baby.

So there are two Arena's full of large inflatable structures. The arenas are separated by a set of doors, but during drop in play the doors are open. Each room has giant slides. Both Cecilia and Patrick could climb these big slides. Arena A has a basketball-type court, and a pair of obstacle courses. Arena B has two other inflatables. One of them had a jumping area, some pillars, and a small slide. The side you climb on was set up more like a rock wall. We didn't make it onto the other one, but it looked pretty cool. It was circular, with a big mound in the middle. Each room also had an air hockey table, and there were a couple coin operated games scattered throughout.

I did venture onto a few things with the kids, because Cecilia had a hard time climbing into, and up most of the pieces. This would have been great if I wasn't lugging around the poor baby! Riley held up fairly well! She enjoyed the basketball court with her siblings. She also didn't seem to mind climbing up the big slides. I was surprised she also did well as we navigated the obstacle course, until we got to the end and had to scale a 'rock wall' style hill! Much to her dismay, I had no choice but to put her down and helped Cecilia. As I climbed back down, I then wondered how on earth I was going to carry Riley up to the slide! We survived. :)

Pump It Up is a great place to bring kids: its fun, super clean, and the staff were very friendly and helpful! If you are planning on venturing out with your little one/ones, be leary of the timing of open play. This was a very difficult day for this Momma, trying to help her on the equipment and keeping an eye on Patrick while dragging the baby. This was during the middle of the week, at roughly 10AM. I can't even imagine how it would have gone if older kids were running and jumping around! I heard from another mom of two that she can't bring her kids together because of the age difference. If your kids are close in age like mine, be sure they are old enough to venture in on their own, because it can be very difficult to keep a close eye on them.

I can say however, that we will be going back and maybe even dragging a few of our friends. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment? Or perhaps it's because I don't want to waste the perfectly good Groupon we purchased.

Details:
5 Webster St. Peabody. Limited Parking

Cost: $8.00 per child (adults play for free when accompanied by a child)

Hours: Check the calendar for the latest information
It looks like Pop In Play Time: Tues, Wed, 9:30 - 11. and Thursday 1030-12. There are also scattered afternoon times.


Up next: Imajine That, Lawrence. New Hampshire Children's Museum, Dover NH.

No comments:

Post a Comment