Labels

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Ingaldsby Farm, Boxford

I must say, Ingaldsby Farm, 14 Washington Rd, Boxford has got to be a favorite group spot, and I have PLENTY of pictures from here to prove it! :) Last year, a group of us were here very regularly. While it's small, it definitely holds the kids attention, and has the added benefit of providing the perfect atmosphere for allowing us moms some 'mom' time!

From the road, it looks like your average small farm stand, and the first time I went I honestly wasn't all that impressed. (The first time I went, Patrick was probably 8 months old) Reluctently I agreed to meet friends there last year and there's is so much more than meets the eye! I'm not quite sure my description could really do it justice! So, there's the typical farm stand component, a store that has fresh fruits and veggies, some country style decorations and flowers. As you head out to the side door, you see more flowers for sale, and a partially fenced off area with a few picnic tables. In that area, there's basically a HUGE sandbox...well not exactly a box. It's a sand field! There's an old farm red farm stand, with a sign about it being the original stand. There's a wooden train and some giant tractor tires. I'm always amazed at how my kids can go non-stop in the play area. Other places that seemingly have more to offer don't hold their attention anywhere near as long.

Adjacent to this area is a pen that houses goats and sheep, another pen that houses some pigs. There's also a chicken coup, peacocks, and bunnies. The farm sells 'food' for the animals, but what I love is you can also bring your own. The food they sell is corn husks, apple scraps, celery, carrots, etc. Every other week, I get an extra large bag of carrots, or celery and we bring it to the farm. This saves some money and some landfills! The kids love feeding them and playing with them.

This is a working farm, and if you venture outside of this area, there's beautiful paths to walk down along the apple trees. At the end of a short walk is a beautiful pond. If I remember correctly that is where the pumpkin patch is.

In the fall, they do PYO apples and also have a corn maze.

This is such a great place to take the kids. They keep themselves occupied in the play area, and we always go for a walk before we leave. If they are extra good, we go into the store and get some cider donuts! Very stroller accessible, though it's a bit tight inside. If you go without the stroller, you can grab one of their wagons. If you haven't gone, I would definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment