Labels

Sunday, September 30, 2012

UPDATE: Zoo New England, Franklin Park





We have a family plus 2 membership that allows us 2 named adults, 4 children, and two guests each time we go to the zoo.  The best part of this membership is that we can always bring friends with us! It's good at both the Stone Zoo, as well as the Franklin Park Zoo.  The Franklin Park Zoo has been one of my favorite places to go.  In comparison to the Stone Zoo, the Franklin Park Zoo is easier to navigate with multiple kids. It's generally more open, and I can keep a closer eye on the children. There are more things to keep the kids occupied.  I also think there are better animal exhibits.  (Christopher the Lion, a baby gorilla names Kiki, Giraffes, and my middle daughter's favorite Tapirs -Milton and Abby)











This past summer the Franklin Park Zoo completed construction on it's new playground and other play structures throughout the park.  My kids just LOVE it.  On the other hand, given the ages and abilities of my kids I have some reservations.  I'll go through the playstructure and their locations.  We typically start at the back entrance of the zoo. (usually more parking, and it's less crowded)  Right when we come in there is a small playstructure.  It's quite odd when you see it.  It's got about 6 jacks shaped things on a metal frame.  My kids love climbing it!  It's a bit too big for my (very tiny) 2-year old.  Over by the lion and tigers are some play structures as well.  On the backside of the lion exhibit is a new climbing structure.  I'm not sure what the intended age is on this one.
My son loves it, and it's a bit too big for my girls.  

Also by the Lion is a food stand that's open during the summer, as well as a 'crate' and sitting area.  We somehow manage to spend quite a bit of time playing in and around the box.  Walking back around the Lion's Den, there's a Jeep that's 'crashed' into the exhibit.  Lots of fun for the kids.

By the Food Court and Children's Farm there is a tractor for the kids to play on, some coin operated rides, and a twisty slide.

Now, onto the BIG, new and exciting playground!  Here are some pictures we took at our last visit.
   I wish I was able to take more pictures, but with three kids 4 and under it just wasn't meant to be!  This is quite the playground.  There is a large section towards the back dedicated to the 2-5 age group.  My personal opinion is this is a great area, but might be a little advanced for the 2 year olds.  There's just so much to explore in this area.  There are baby swings, and also a pretty cool "Merry Go Round".  (I didn't know they still existed!)  The other side of the playground is just gigantic!  It is intended for older children, and I imagine kids could spend hours upon hours here.  I am not a nervous mom, and usually let my kids explore everything.  However, this playground is just too much for me to manage alone with my 2, 3, and 4 year old.  I can not wait to explore it when they are 5, 6, and 7!  Kudos to the Franklin Park Zoo, but I'm just too outnumbered and the big side is just too big for us right now!

This summer the Franklin Park Zoo also added a Dinosaur exhibit, which is now closed for the season.  I do hope they bring it back next summer.  It was an additional charge, but worth a visit now and again.  

Admission rates: Please check out the Zoo's website for more details about cost, food, parking, etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment